Upcoming Video Games

Same. Makes me worried, given how much Todd hyped it up. Sounded like a game that needs a lot of work, and I don’t think 1.5 years is that in game-time

2 Likes

One and a half years is enough time to make a game, have it be functionally sound but yet they are never the best in their series or they are a series that is good but not great (See CoD or Assassin’s Creed back when they did the same thing). Fallout New Vegas had a short dev cycle and lots of people love that but at the same time it is horrifically buggy and some of the systems are janky.

But yes Starfield needs more dev time but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening though.

1 Like

From Wikipedia
“Howard said active development of the game had been ongoing since the release of Fallout 4 in late 2015.”
“By mid-2018, the game had moved out of pre-production, and was in a playable state.”

So it’s 4 years of development with 3 in pre-production so I think that’s enough time taking into account the number of developers at Beth. Still, it’s a Beth game so main concern are still the glitches.

A lot of game nowadays seems to be in development around ~4 years, Cyberpunk, HL: Alyx, STALKER 2 to name a few that are on the top of my head atm.

1 Like

Most big games take four years to make and have for a while now. The issue isn’t how long it has taken but if we trust Bethesda to deliver something. Especially something that is better than Skyrim in space which is what he is billing the game as.

The only real gameplay feature I know of the game is that it allows non-traditional gender creation in the create-a-character. A welcome addition but that is literally all I know about a game coming out in a year.

1 Like

They are probably gonna market / hype the crap out of it during next year’s E3 (or similar events).

1 Like

It’s basically following the very basic plot of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, with Sonic and Tails having to fight Dr Eggman and Knuckles, with Knuckles being convinced by Eggman that Sonic is a bad guy. That and the Master Emerald is a plot point, which is actually very exciting, because the Master Emerald has alot of lore behind it, and it’ll be interesting to see if they mine any of that lore. If the first movie was basically a Sonic origins movie, and this movie is establishing Sonic, Tails, Knuckles as a trio with the Emeralds coming into play, the next step would be adapting elements from Sonic Adventure.

I haven’t seen the first film yet, but the fact the second seems so much willing to grab elements from the games and incorporate them, that is exciting. I definetly hope the sequel does well enough for a third film, so we can see how much more they can put in. The thought of seeing some of Sonic’s secondary cast turn up is actually very appealing to me.

Humans have always been a mixed bag. Unleashed tried to mitigate the issue by having the humans be less realistic and done in a far more cartoony style which seemed far more appropriate. The most infamous element of the human issue is that Sonic Team, until recently, actually said that in the games, Sonic moved between 2 worlds, one with humans and basically Earth, the other being his world, with Green Hill Zone etc. Just apparently this always happened off screen and noone ever alludes to it, but is ofcourse the entire plot of Sonic X. X had good stuff but also spent so much time with humans, and it didn’t help that the main kid, Chris Thorndyke, wasn’t very likable or interesting.

In the game continuity, Sonic has no origin story. He’s always been blue, fast, and been a hero, while Dr Eggman has been evil, constantly fighting Sonic, and trying to take over the world. Some of the spin-off continuities have tried their hands at origin stories, but none of them have ever stuck, probably because none of them were that good or interesting. So it makes sense the film basically invented its own take on a Sonic and Eggman origin story, with it also has a little hint of lore from Sonic Adventure involving the Echidnas. The whole “going to Earth” thing is cliche, but really, once they settled on live action it basically had to happen. If it stayed in Sonic’s world, it would be pure CGI I would imagine.

4 Likes

A teaser dropped yesterday for the next Backbone game, which is one of my favourite games this year, despite the mixed reception:

I’m excited, but a little worried as the game hasn’t even been out a year and they’re already getting ready to release the next one. I’m not sure how long it took to create the orignal, but it did feel a bit rushed towards the end, maybe it’ll be a bit different this time because they already have code they can re-use.

4 Likes

It doesn’t have a release date but now at least it has a Steam page

It’s a remake of Half-Life 1’s expansion packs, Opposing Force and Blue Shift, in one package. Project is extremely similar to Black Mesa and has also been in the works for many years.

6 Likes

About a month to go…

3 Likes

I look forward to playing that in about 3 or 4 years when it finally gets a PC port… :frowning:

2 Likes

Hopefully the GoW release on PC paves the way for more excellent ports in the near future :grin:

For a single player game, those numbers is helluva impressive :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes
9 Likes

That stream had nearly everything I wanted. I think they’re going off on the right foot this time.

2023 is gonna be a long wait, but it’ll be worth it.
Shorter episode wait times is gonna be even cooler, since they’ll finish them all before release.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Holy crap, the Chrono Cross remaster is real! :smiley:

(To tell you the truth, it doesn’t look like that big an improvement, but I sold my old copy a long time ago and the enhanced soundtrack alone would be worth it.)

3 Likes

New mainline Pokémon games, looks like it’s based on Spain. Out this late-2022, somehow… I hope those devs are getting sleep.
Looks decent graphically, but it looks like it’s packed with more objects than Sw/Sh

https://youtu.be/MAmueMsFR1o

(They half had me think it was a tease for a detective pikachu movie sequel and I wouldnt have minded that…)

3 Likes

I’m not even enthusiastic by this. We’ve been basically getting mainline entires on a yearly basis that I’m getting exhausted by the series. Generation 9 feels like it’s being rushed into and it seems to be the case by the design of the new starters.

1 Like

I’m behind on the series as a whole. Last new one i played was XY on the 3DS.
From what I’ve heard, the main format has gotten kinda stale, too, so that’s too bad.

But seems they’re taking cues from the popular Legends game, with some open-world format in these new ones. I don’t think that’ll be such a game-changer though.

1 Like

Shadow Warrior 3 comes out very soon. I’m preloading it on PS5. Pumped!

2 Likes

To be honest, I not too enthusiastic about the main cast but after watching this, I think the gameplay will more the make up for them.

1 Like