Official Death Thread

They need to update their definition of who gets to be considered “famed.” Famed linguist? First of all, I’d never heard of the guy, and secondly, what?

He is actually quite famous in linguist circles though.

1 Like

Never read anything by him but I was somewhat aware of him as being famous, maybe more for philosophy and politics than for linguistics?

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be callous, I genuinely want to know; how do you become famous for linguistics.

The study of language is extensive and ongoing; Chomsky made notable contributions to it. He simultaneously became a prolific commentator on politics, philosophy, and economics. It’s difficult to avoid his material when interrogating global affairs. Particularly Israel-Palestine, mass media, corporatism, and US foreign policy.

10 Likes

Ah, ok, I see where it comes from then.

You’ve never heard of Noam Chomsky?

That surprises me.

3 Likes

Nope. Why does that surprise you?

“the media need to update their definition of fame because I don’t know a famous person”

funny shit

1 Like

Forum is spicy this morning! Something in the water maybe?

2 Likes

could be. definitely not linguistics though.

4 Likes

obligatory

5 Likes

You took it too literally, dude.

what? the thing you said?

That’s not what I said. It wasn’t about questioning the fame because I hadn’t heard of them. If you see the very next sentence, it was about questioning how someone can be famous for something like linguistics. It was sort of a joke. I was poking fun at the idea of someone becoming famous off of something as mundane-sounding as linguistics. I’m sure there are numerous famous people who got that way off of something that doesn’t really seem like something you’d be famous for, but that’s a really unexpected one.

Yeah, I said I hadn’t heard of the guy, but that was a separate comment that I made afterward to establish that I was not familiar with the man, but that wasn’t the subject of my questioning, nor why I was jokingly saying they need to update the definition of famed.

Any other highly respected fields you want to throw under the bus while you’re at it?

1 Like

One of my all time favorite movies!

1 Like

You’re being too harsh on him. Noam is really an exception, otherwise most people neither give a shit about linguists nor they can name a few.

It doesn’t matter what most people think. Saying that linguistics is mundane and questioning how people within the sphere of language study can be famous is nonsense.

Not everyone in the world needs to know a person for them to be famous.

1 Like

His is a very well known name in the arena of “western intellectualism.” I’m not the most erudite of armchair philosophers, but I’m familiar with him. I made an ass of you and me and assumed you would know of him.

2 Likes