The Nintendo Thread

If you wanna do voice-chat, sure (and I guess a lil conversation would be nice too)

I do have a discord, I’ll send it to ya and we can figure out a time to do all this :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Slay lets go!

1 Like

Uh, I’m afraid I wouldn’t really know what an “obvious” pick is I’m afraid. I’m just going to list the stuff that I like:

Metroid Prime Remastered: Great port of the Gamecube classic, really amazing how well Metroid works as an FPS.

Super Mario Odyssey: Fantastic platformer, really lovely levels that are packed with so many secrets and puzzles.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury: Another awesome platformer and Bowser’s Fury is a nice decent sized expansion which adds a good amount of content to the port.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom: Both great open world titles, although your milage might vary with some stuff like how easily weapons break and how stuff like climbing and temperatures operate. I certainly wouldn’t play these two together since they share so much stuff, but I’d say Breath of the Wild is at least worth checking out, and then doing Tears of the Kingdom after a decent break if you enjoyed Breath of the Wild.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Very enjoyable tactical RPG, with a strong story focus. I’ve actually started playing Fire Emblem Engage at the moment and want to get more into the Fire Emblem series at some point, but I really think Three Houses is something special.

Master Detective Archives: Rain Code: Interesting visual novel set in a sci-fi dystopia with noir detective vibe about a city where it hasn’t stopped raining for years.

I’ll need to think about what else I’ve played.

3 Likes

I knew i shouldve specified, with obvious stuff i mostly meant: mario odyssey and 3d world rerelease, both open world switch zeldas and any pokemon games

But thank you for these recommend especially the last two seem really nice and interesting

2 Likes

@Khakiasp I actually went and bothered to have a look at my Switch collection, so here’s a few more recommendations:

The World Ends With You: Final Remix: A Switch exclusive port of the DS original which utilises either the touch screen or the Joy Cons to try and replicate the DS game’s utilisation of its own touch screen and stylus. Can be a bit or hit miss because of that, but it does have a fantastic story and soundtrack. A bit of a hidden gem since both TWEWY titles sold poorly and is a bit of a cult franchise because of it.

NEO: The Worlds End With You: The sequel that sadly underperformed. You can buy this on PS4 and PC too because it doesn’t utilise any Switch exclusive features, it’s basically an action RPG where you just use the controller as normal. Also great story and soundtrack. You would miss out on some story stuff if you started here rather than the first game but not that much I feel if you really don’t find the first game’s utilisation of features to be in your alley.

Kirby: The Forgotten Land: The only Kirby game I’ve played so far. I would say probably closest to Super Mario Odyssey if you’ve played that, except rather than possessing people with the hat, this game has Kirby absorb power ups that give him different abilities.

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening: The gorgeous remake of the Game Boy original, nice 2D Zelda action.

Danganronpa Decadence: The Switch port of the main trilogy of Danganronpa games, these are visual novels made by the same company who did Rain Code like I said earlier. Great dark story about students of high schools forced into a killing game where they must murder someone, then get away with the murder in a trial. Dark, morbid, but also a bunch of ecleptic and often funny characters who you wind up caring about and investing in, only to see who may die next…

Super Meat Boy and Cuphead: Both great hard platformers that are great fits for the Switch in both TV and handheld mode.

Shin Megami Tensei V: I only really bring this one up because it is still a Switch exclusive at the moment. A hard, dark RPG about a ruined alternate version of Tokyo where you need to recruit demons into your party and fuse them into tougher demons to exploit elemental weaknesses. I completed this game but had a rough time of it, I think it’s definetly a game for a niche audience, but hey, maybe you might find it more rewarding than me?

Persona 3,4, 5: And speaking of Shin Megami Tensei, I feel obligated to bring up the Persona games. Half school simulator, half dungeon crawler, which works a lot better than it sounds, with some great stories and characters. I’d probably suggest starting with 5 and working your way backwards, but 5 is more expensive than 3/4. And 3 is getting a remake released at the start of February which isn’t coming to the Switch, so maybe keep an eye on that. But the game’s calender time management system, where you manage each day at a time works really with the Switch’s handhold as you can just casually do a day or two and then switch it off at your convenience.

Stuff I own but haven’t played and stuff I plan to pick up at some point, so perhaps you might find it interesting:

Bayonetta trilogy: Bayonetta 2 was just for the Wii U and Switch and Bayonetta 3 is a Switch exclusive, action combo games in the style of Devil May Cry by Platinum Games.

Astral Chain: Another action game by Platinum Games

The Wonderful 101: A port of the game designed for the use of the Wii U’s touch pad, where you have to lead dozens of superheroes to form big shapes to clear levels.

Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp: A remake of the first two Advance Wars games for the Game Boy Advance, a Nintendo franchise that is also a tactical RPG. I hear the game did badly though, partly due to it being delayed because of the Ukraine war sadly.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword: One of the more contentious Zelda games, the Wii game was criticised due to the forced use of the Wii’s motion controls. The Switch version lets you either use the motion controls again with the Joy Cons, but now you can just play it with regular controls.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1, 2, 3: The XC trilogy is all available on Switch now, the only game missing is X which is still a Wii U exclusive, that might get ported at some point. I hear great things about the story, but I hear the combat is “MMO like”, which to be honest I don’t really know what that entails exactly. I plan to pick up the remaster of 1 at some point to find out.

Luigi’s Mansion 3: A hear this is a fun time.

Honestly I really want to start building up my Switch library, especially since Switch prices (at least in the UK) seem to finally coming down a bit for a lot of the first party Nintendo games.

4 Likes

Yuck. Theres only one good Zelda on Switch and thats the Links Awakening Remake.

1 Like

It IS a very fun time. The company that made it and all the cutscenes really have a love for Luigi and his adorable fearfulness. They honestly portray him with animated-movie-quality emotion despite not saying more than a few words.

The various “floors” of the levels also act as great themed puzzle rooms, and the graphics quality for much of the game is honestly impressive for the switch.

5 Likes

I recently bought a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack subscription (why do Nintendo have to make some of their products so wordy??) since they were offering a special “get 20% Gold Points Bonus when you purchase/renew a Basic or Expansion plan”. (Normal points bonus is 5% digital, or 1% on physical games)

So, I got 1280 points, worth 12.80$! And since I’ve been stockpiling them for a bit, I now have over 20$ of points to use on the store!

I know I’m very soon gonna use them on The World Ends With You Final Remix, the exclusive switch re-release/remaster that never goes on sale!! >:(
It’s one of N’s lower-priced exclusives at around 65$, but still, it never goes on sale, so frustrating. Yet I see the bigger-budget multi-platform sequel NEO:TWEWY go on sale quite often at prices like 50% off! Ugh!

Anyway, this makes me happy. I might make another poll soon enough to get opinions on what to use my 2nd Switch Online Voucher for a free game.

4 Likes

When you get around to it, I hope you enjoy it. I love the story and music of this game.

I wanted to talk about Amiibo for a second. Next month, Sora will be released as the final figurine in the Super Smash Bros. line-up. When Amiibo launched in November 2014, the first wave of figures were of a bunch of fighters in Smash for the Wii U and 3DS, eventually expanding to tie-in with a bunch of other Nintendo and even non-Nintendo IPs. When it launched, it was clearly made to compete with the likes of Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Lego Dimensions, all of which have now stopped. They released 83 models at the end of 2014 and through 2015, another 40 models in 2016. They even did a video game tie-in, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival which actually requires the usage of Amiibo to function.

I think Nintendo was hoping this would become a big thing, but I don’t think it ever quite worked out. It seems like the original plan was to create multiple Amiibo lines, each under a Nintendo IP. Some were successful, Smash, Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, but some wern’t. There were 4 figures released under Kirby and Fire Emblem, and then just never expanded upon. It seems like eventually, outside of Smash, they gave up on this concept, and nowadays it is simply packs to (usually tie-in) with a specific game’s release.

You can tell how much production has wound down over time, with the pandemic perhaps playing a role in the decision to reduce the count, here’s a year by year counter:

November - December 2014: 18 figures (18 Smash)
2015: 65 figures
2016: 40 figures
2017: 36 figures
2018: 21 figures
2019: 20 figures
2020: 4 figures (Dark Samus, Richter, Joker, Hero from Smash)
2021: 14 figures (6 Monster Hunter, 3 Smash, 2 Mario, 2 Metroid, 1 Zelda)
2022: 9 figures (3 Smash, 3 Splatoon, 3 Monster Hunter)
2023: 10 figures (4 Smash, 3 Splatoon, 3 Zelda)
2024 (so far): 3 figures (Noah and Mio from Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Sora from Smash)

You can see the drop off over the years, and also how much the Smash line was contributing to those numbers. Now that Nintendo have fulfilled their promise that every fighter and echo fighter in Smash will have a figure to accompany them, what next? I think there’s been rumblings that sooner or later Nintendo will just end the Amiibo line, and it does seem possible. Either just outright or perhaps some kind of successor? The next console is almost certainly this year or the next, seems like a good point to end things. But then Nintendo seem to just release these things on their own schedule, whenever they feel like it, so if they make money, why not just do a few a year? Interesting what does and doesn’t get Amiibo, it feels like rather than doing lines (besides Smash) they just do releases to tie-in with big selling games. But they are just releasing this month a double pack to tie-in with the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 3, which came out a year and a half ago, yet Super Mario Wonder doesn’t justify a tie-in release? Ah, Nintendo being Nintendo.

There are some interesting tidbits in the Amiibo history. Over 200 figures have been released, the total figure I’ve seen online is around 219, but not sure if that is counting the upcoming figures this year. Speaking of Skylanders, Nintendo actually teamed up with Activision to release 4 duel Amiibo Skylander figures, that contain both Amiibo and Skylander functionality. Amiibo have been made of third party characters, most famous is of the various guest fighters in Smash, but they did a figure tie-in for the Switch releases of Dark Souls Remastered, Diablo 3, and Mega Man 11. Shovel Knight got 5 figures surprisingly. But nowadays the only third party franchise they will do is Monster Hunter, which is probably a testament to how gigantic that franchise is in Japan.

They did Amiibo to tie-in with the release of Yoshi’s Wooly World, but they also did a big version, which is basically a soft toy but with the amiibo thing in its foot. For the Smash line, one thing they tried doing was releasing two variations of the same character at the same time to represent different outfits. Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin from Fire Emblem each have a “Player One” and “Player Two” version. It seems like these did badly as Nintendo never tried that idea again, and I believe the “Player Two” versions are some of the most expensive Amiibo to get your hands on. And perhaps most infamously, a box of Super Mario cereal is also officially an Amiibo, there’s an Amiibo code on the cardboard box.

I’ve been buying a few Amiibo over the last few years, planning to put them on display in my house when I moved, which I finally did last year. Planning to finally break them out of the packaging soon and put them on my shelves. I think I own about two dozen. Certainly have no plan to collect all of them, god that is just a pure money pit, but I do want to make a list of the ones I want that aren’t too expensive on the second hand market. I think they’re a fun novely, a nice inexpensive way of owning figures of your favourite characters.

4 Likes

I wonder what happened in 2020 that they could only give us four

2 Likes

Still no Link to the Past Ganon :weary:

2 Likes

Pandemic no doubt played a role, but even if you consider the 2021 figures to of been possibly delayed from 2020, you can still see the reduced count in action.

Sadly not, but the Zelda series has a good 28 Amiibo figures I believe, over 10% of the Amiibo figures in total. And of those 28, 14 are variations of Link, I believe making him the character with the most Amiibo dedicated to a single character. Ganon only has 2, one for his Smash appearance and the other recently for his appearance in Tears of the Kingdom.

3 Likes

Alledgedly there are rumours that Xbox is considering putting Hi-Fi Rush on the Switch (possible)

There are also rumours that they may have cancelled that port (due to performance) and are aiming for a PS Port instead (implausible)

Dear god I really hope one of these rumours are true, because my PC can’t run it smoothly even on low settings (which sucks for a rhythm game) so I REALLY hope a console I actually own can have it.

3 Likes

Starting from the 11th of January and ending on the 15th I think these are the 4 new spirits coming to smash bros ultimate they said their will be 4 of these so I’m assuming the next one will have a Mario related spirit

The twitter / X post about it

2 Likes

If I had a penny for every joy con colour Nintendo have made I could probably buy princess peach showtime I think they look nice though

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1749796966933127494

4 Likes

More smash bros spirits are realising on January 26th these ones aren’t from Nintendo games

https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1749960210020733086

3 Likes

Wow… Smash Bros has no new content coming out, it’s not really super-popular in the public consciousness as far as I can tell but they’re still putting in guest character spirits?? Wow.

13 Sentinels and Hades, very neat to see.

1 Like

The third of the 4 smash bros 5th anniversary spirit events ( wow they are rushing these out ) was revealed it comes out on the 9th of February and focuses entirely on Pokemon from Pokémon Scarlet and Violet the spirits are the three starters the two box art legendarys and the two dlc box art legendarys

4 Likes

Glad I made a Japanese Nintendo Account

3 Likes

It’s almost march 10th or as Nintendo call it MAR10 day since they usually announce something on the day I’m hoping we get some news about the Luigi’s mansion dark moon or paper Mario the thousand year door remake but at the very least there will be Lego Mario news on march 9th

1 Like